Designed in Australia and made specifically to help moms, it’s one of the better options for breastfeeding mothers.
Hakaa Breast Pump Review
If you’re a breastfeeding mom, then you’ve probably quickly realized just how valuable breast milk is.
Not only is it loaded with nutrients to support the healthy growth of your baby, but it also saves your bank account thousands of dollars over the years that you’d otherwise spend on formula.
However, as every nursing mom knows, frequent breastfeeding can be very exhausting, which is why many mothers resort to pumping so they can catch a break.
Unfortunately, pumping breast milk is no walk in the park either, but this Haakaa breast pump review proves that pumping can be effortless, convenient, and comfortable. Excited? Let’s get started!
Overview of the Haakaa
The Haakaa Breast Pump is a compact silicone tool that utilizes suction to pump milk from breasts.
Unlike conventional breast pumps that are either electrically or manually powered, the Haakaa breast pump depends on light suction power to stimulate the let down milk out of the breast. There’s no need for any cords, cables, or batteries. Plus, it’s 100% silent.
In addition to offering hands-free and non-electric operation, the Haakaa is very easy to use so you won’t have to dread your next breastfeeding/pumping session.
When you order your new breast pump, there are often accessories that ship with it. However, to keep the cost at a minimum, The Haakaa only contains the pump, which is actually all you need. But, if you want some accessories, a Haakaa Lid and Flower Stopper are available to purchase separately.
The pump itself comes in two sizes, 100 and 150ml. The 150ml size is the most popular as you can apply the Haakaa to your breast while you feed your baby on the other side.
Features of the Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump
- Made using high-quality materials – the Haakaa breast pump is made from premium food-grade silicone that’s free of BPA, PVC, lead, and phthalates. It can resist high and low temperatures, so neither hot nor cold water will do any damage. Not to mention, the Haakaa is also super environmentally friendly.
- Comfortable and fits all breasts – one of the main selling points for the Haakaa breast pump is the amount of comfort it provides. Conventional pumps are usually harsh on the skin, which may lead to pain and inflammation. The Haakaa, however, is soft and gentle on your sensitive bread skin.
It’ll keep you comfy and relaxed while drawing breast milk and collecting let down. It also accommodates all breasts of different shapes and sizes, so any mom can use it.
- Easy to clean – as a mom, you don’t need any extra cleaning chores on your plate. Luckily, the Haakaa breast pump has that aspect covered and has made cleaning a breeze so you can spend more time with your little one or wind down at the end of the day.
You can easily clean the breast pump with a steamer or by simply boiling in water for 2 to 3 minutes. Don’t worry, the pump can resist high temperatures up to 300°C (572°F) so your mind can be at peace.
- Portable design – the Haakaa breast pump boasts a highly portable design that’s perfect for expressing milk on the go. It’s very lightweight and completely silent, requiring no cords, cables, or batteries for truly discrete pumping.
You can use the Haakaa on long-distance trips, family gatherings, planes, or anywhere you’d like to pump discreetly and quickly. You can also use it at night without fear of interrupting your little one’s sleep.
- Safe for moms and babies – the Haakaa breast pump is 100% safe for moms and babies. It’s drop-proof and non-toxic, so it can handle little hands and mouths with a problem.
Who Is It Best For?
Because it is completely silent it is perfect for moms who are back at work and need a discreet way to pump. It is perfect for traveling, car rides, work or anywhere that you need to express breast milk silently and quickly.
The Haakaa excels at catching any extra milk that is lost while breastfeeding, so if you are finding your shirt wet with milk after feeding the haakaa will catch that milk, allowing you to store it for another day.
The Haakaa is best for breastfeeding mothers who have a good supply, as it will not stimulate your breast milk production in the way that a nursing baby or electric pump would.
How To Use the Haakaa Breast Pump
As we mentioned above, using the Haakaa breast pump is pretty easy. The process is rather straightforward, but you may need to practice it a few times at first to get it done just right.
The key to an effective pumping session with the Haakaa is for you to experience a letdown. The most convenient way to achieve this is by nursing your baby on one side and attaching the Haakaa to the non-nursing breast at the same time.
That being said, here’s how you use the Haakaa breast pump:
- If this is your first use, you should clean and sanitize the Haakaa before proceeding. Put the pump in boiling water for 3-5 minutes to sterilize it, then let it air dry completely.
- Squeeze the bottom section of the pump gently to push the air out.
- Invert the flange to expose the neck of the pump, and place it over your breast with the nipple positioned at the center of the neck.
- Secure the flange and let the pump go bit by bit until you start to feel suction.
- Maintain a full seal of contact with your breast and the Haakaa will begin collecting your milk let down.
- Leave the Haakaa in place at your breast to collect milk while you’re breastfeeding.
- You can remove and reattach the Haakaa pump as needed or until the milk flow stops. Once done, carefully transfer the breast milk to a bottle or milk storage bag – you don’t want to spill any of your liquid gold.
- Clean your Haakaa so it’s ready for the next use.
Here are some bonus tips to help you get the most out of your Haakaa breast pump:
- If you’re experiencing letdown but nothing is falling into the Haakaa or it has stopped dripping, remove the pump and reattach it. This simple act can promote milk flow once again.
- Don’t clean your Haakaa with regular soap unless you want the silicone cloudy. Boiling water is really enough.
- When your Haakaa starts to get full or too heavy, remove it and pour the milk into a bottle or storage container and then attach it back on. Be careful, if the Haakaa gets too heavy it could slip and you’ll end up with spilled milk!
- It’s a good idea to use your Haakaa pump around the same time each day to get a good amount of milk every session. Your body needs to learn to produce the extra milk for you to pump.
Tips & Tricks For Using The Haakaa Breast Pump
- The Haakaa can be used while you are breastfeeding, to help achieve a let down.
- After it has been applied, you do not need to squeeze to stimulate let down.
- Gently massaging your breast or applying heat can help to encourage let down and proper drainage of the breast.
Haakaa Breast Pump – Pros & Cons
Here’s what we love about the Haakaa breast pump:
- It’s easy to clean.
- It’s only one piece (two maximum), so you won’t have to worry about losing or forgetting tiny pieces.
- It’s lightweight and small enough to easily carry in your baby bag when you leave the house.
- It’s a hands-free tool that doesn’t require a special hands-free bra.
- It doesn’t use electricity, so you can still pump in a power outage.
- It’s 100% noise-free, so you won’t disturb your sleeping baby.
- It’s affordable.
- It requires no assembly. Just grab it, attach it, and you’re good to go!
Here’s what we think can be improved:
- The only thing we wish to see is having all the extras in one package. The Haakaa comes in 4 additional versions besides the original pump: one includes a base, one includes milk savers, one comes with a base and a stopper, and one with a base and a cap. Why not offer them as a bundle?
Questions About The Haakaa
How Much Milk Can It Hold?
The Haakaa comes in two sizes, 100ml and 150ml.
Can It Go In A Sterilizer?
Yes! The best way to clean and sterlize your Haakaa breast Pump is by using a steam sterilizing system, or simply boiling it in water for 3 to 5 minutes. Ensure to not use any sterilizing agents to clean this product, just water.
Wrap Up – Should You Buy the Haakaa Breast Pump?
The Haakaa breast pump is simple to use, easy to clean, noise-free, portable, safe, and affordable. All in all, it’s a definite yes!